Wednesday, April 17, 2013

More from the Ojito Wilderness

If you want to read my entire entry on Ojito Wilderness start with my post dated April 13.
Before I got there I thought I’d walk several miles in and around then be done with it,
 I was mistaken with that assumption. I walked down the trail which lasted about a half mile and didn’t get much farther than that. It wasn’t because of my lack of map skills but because all the different things to see around me. Overall I didn’t make it in much more than a mile and 2 ½ hours later decided I have to return.

I was taken by the textures and colors of the rocks. I’m not a geologist but can see that there was a lot of activity that went on here at some point in history. How some of these trees came to grow in this environment is beyond me. It must have been very different at some point for them to get established and still keep growing.

I shot a lot of little vignettes over my one mile of hiking. I like close up images showing the details of what’s going on here. This place is special; as you drive down the highway you get a feel that there is something different back there but get only a brief glimpse. While I was driving the dirt road to my destination the more views would pop in and out. One side of the road was just regular terrain with grasses and cactus and rolling hills. On the other; this ‘badlands’ terrain was just dropped in, although popped up may be more accurate.

In my reading of the Wilderness there are also petroglyphs. Dinosaur bones have also been found. Just more reasons to visit.

If you live in NM or are just visiting the greater Albuquerque area and want to see something different try the Ojito Wilderness.

Thank you for stopping by

Mark

2 comments:

  1. wow, these are really beautiful places you've been hiking. It seems so strange that there aren't (many) trees. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw trees off in the distance but was taken by the rock formations and didn't make it much further that this

    ReplyDelete