Friday, September 6, 2013

Bayfield, WI

I spent an afternoon in Bayfield walking around, seeing the town and looking for a sweatshirt for Sue.  Bayfield is small, around 600 people live here year round...

One of the shopkeepers says that baby boomers that used to come here to visit when they were young are coming and buying homes which are driving up the prices so the locals end up living elsewhere because they cannot afford to live here.  Tourism is the main income of Bayfield.  There were a lot of people walking up and down the streets all looking to spend money.

Before sunrise at the Bayfield marina
Just a few miles inland from Bayfield are numerous orchards; apples, cherries, strawberries, blueberries to name a few.  Plan your trip to pick the fruit you want because different fruits come in at different times.  For those of you that are ambitious you can pick your own.  Of course when you pick your own you have to do occasional quality checks on your pickings.  I picked up a couple bottles of jam; cherry and blueberry but haven’t tried them yet.  Each orchard made its own jam or jelly and some made wines.

Later that afternoon I took the Apostle Island Grand tour, written about on another post.  When I got back from the tour seeing the islands and the spectacular sunset I decided I had to get up early, before sunrise, at 430 to photograph the sunrise over the Bayfield port.

Before I went to bed I knew I had to get all my photo gear together because I would not remember it all at 430.  It was very calm, not a ripple in the water inside the marina.  I found a few spots to catch the early glow before sunrise and kept shooting images after the sun was up.  This makes me think I may have to move back to a large body of water instead of living in the desert.

Bayfield was the last stop on my week long trip.  I had a great time visiting with family, celebrating a major birthday, getting out and photographing the area and seeing a different part of WI I had never seen before.  I hope to do it again!

Thank you for stopping by,
Mark

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful pics, Mark! And I'm looking forward to you coming back to Wisconsin :)

    ReplyDelete