Saturday, March 7, 2015

Sandia Crest - Feb 27

My story starts the previous Tuesday, “Mark wants to go up to the Pecos Wilderness this Friday”, Byron mentioned to me in my office.  “We’ll check out a couple of the rivers for fishing later this year”.  I thought ‘Hmm, I’m in, but I’m also certain there will be a fly rod or two accompanying us, along with the other necessary tools to ‘wet a line’’.  (I’m picking up on the fly fishing lingo)...

As you know I’m not a fly fisher, yet, although I have been studying Byron’s book on fly fishing Northern New Mexico for the last several weeks.  I’m not certain he remembers I still have it.  I am really studying it to find new places to hike.  I enjoy photographing rivers; what better way to find rivers than a book on fly fishing.

Back to the story.

I started watching the weather on Wednesday, snow; and lots of it is forecast for Friday – Sunday.  I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard that before and absolutely nothing appeared.  Snow was still forecast on Thursday, with the same intensity.  Hedging our bets Byron and I stopped off to rent snowshoes; maybe the weather forecast will be right this time.  When 4AM came around Friday morning it seemed unusually bright outside my bedroom window.  It actually snowed, it was only an inch or two but the snow came as predicted.  The roads outside the house look clear so the snow should be only a minor holdup…

Texts started flying back and forth between the three of us; Mark is really interested in investigating the Pecos.  Byron and I just want to get out for our monthly stroll in the woods, desert, rivers, or mountains; whatever sounds good at the time we start our drive.  “The roads are a sheet of ice here (Bernalillo)” Mark texted.  “It doesn’t look bad here” I replied.  “Let’s see how it looks coming up in your direction”.

I stopped to pick up Byron.  It turns out to be fortuitous that I decided to drive today.  I have driven in conditions like this living in Wisconsin; I haven’t in a while, but Byron has never driven in these conditions.  The roads in town were generally quite good unless you are driving towards Tramway Blvd., the way I happen to be going.

I should have paid attention to the little episode that happened in Byron’s driveway…

I parked like normal, opened the back of the truck, started putting his stuff in the truck, then we started holding or trying to hold the truck in place as it began sliding down the driveway.  Byron and I looked at each other like deer in headlights, we slowed and even stopped the truck from sliding but it was probably more hitting a dry spot on the driveway than our mighty strength stopping the truck.  While it set there for a second or two Byron ran around jumping in the truck applying additional brake power.  Fortunately I had left the door on the driver’s side open making that move relatively easy.  If we had been smart we would have thought a little more about pursuing our hiking adventure.  


We are guys, we don’t do that.


It is slushy, icy and slick; with lots of other people on the road that probably haven’t driven in snow in a long time.  The snow is certainly not near the Boston standard for snow this year but driving is still a challenge.  Our goal is to go about two hours north into the Jemez Mountains; the interstate is closed on the far side of Santa Fe so the Pecos Wilderness is out.  We drove to Bernalillo on I-25 at a steady 35mph; the posted speed is 70 – 75.

We met Mark in Bernalillo, said hi and started thinking about plan C, there wasn’t a plan C.  “Let’s skip going to the Jemez”.  “By the time we get there we will have to turn around because the road conditions will certainly be worse than what we experienced on the Interstate”.  Mark came up with idea snowshoeing on the Sandia Crest.  He’s hiked and snowshoed there multiple times and said it’s a great area to see.  We jumped all over that idea.  There’s only one small detail; we get to go back the way we just came from to get to the tram which will take us to the Crest.  This time we drove back through town, in hindsight I think the interstate may have been better but I thought the streets should be devoid of cars; people should be staying home or be at work already.  Boy was I wrong.

As time passed during our tour of Rio Rancho it started warming up just enough to make the roads wet instead of icy.  I noticed more and more people starting to drive the normal - speed limit +5.

Our ride up to the Crest
 The top of the mountain is socked in.  It’s relatively calm in the foothills, hardly any snow, certainly not enough for snowshoeing.  We gathered all our stuff, sans fly rods making our way to the bottom terminal of the tram.  The ride takes 15 minutes; about 5 minutes into the ride we lose visual contact with the world.  All we see are the cables hauling us to the top of the mountain.  10 minutes later we catch glimpses of the upper terminal.  It looks cold; the face of the terminal is covered in ice, the trees are frozen in place even with the 20+ mph winds incessantly blowing.  Once the tram car door opens the scenes of cold become reality.  As we gather our snowshoeing gear and walk towards the terminal we notice a thermometer; 16°.

In the terminal we prepare for our expedition; heavy coats, hats, gloves/mittens, windproof pants, you name it.   We carry our snowshoes to the edge of the deck; I’m sure the restaurant would not appreciate us snowshoeing across it.  In the five minutes it took us to get our snow shoes on and equipment situated so we look like we know what we are doing my fingers are freezing.  They don’t hurt from the cold; they are numb.  I have this sinking feeling that the next time I take off my mittens my fingers may just fall out by themselves.  I am happy to tell you that after 10 minutes of snowshoeing I regained feeling in my fingers and they are still attached as I write this.

Along the west facing slope the wind assaults everything in its path.  Snow accumulates horizontally on tree branches; it’s hard to breathe; your face stings from the little bits of blowing snow and ice.  Yet we enjoy being here to see, feel and experience this.

Byron spots a photo op and splits off to shoot.  Mark and I move ahead partly to get out of the wind and partly to move so we get circulation into our extremities.  Once in the trees the wind all but stops.  There must be between half a foot and 3’ of snow.  I also see photo ops and wander off the trail finding views that interest me.  I already know I will stick with my wide lens; I do not want to expose the inside of my camera to the blowing wind and snow while changing lenses.    

Our world is a traveling 300’ circle centered on each of us.  The clouds are constantly around us; sometimes the snow starts blowing around us making our world even smaller.  Today, nature is monotone; white with many shades of gray; there are no shadows.  From a distance conifers normally a rich dark green, are shades of gray from the coat of snow and ice they are wearing.  Only when you get up close can colors be discerned.

After a couple of hours of trekking and photographing we stopped for lunch.  We found a spot where a trail went down the west face of the mountain, a nice view but lots of wind.  We hastily eat our sandwiches and make our way back into the trees escaping from the wind to warm up.  Here we encountered trees dropping large snowballs all around us.  The wind had started gusting causing the trees to sway back and forth hence the falling snowballs.  The ‘whomps’ we heard from the snow hitting the ground made us wish we had brought our hardhats.  We didn’t wait to see who would be the first taken out by a random snowball.

Shortly after lunch I noticed the cold is catching up with my water bottles, I am still able to drink but the water is freezing fast.  By the time we got back to the terminal after 5 hours of snowshoeing the top of my water bottle is frozen shut.  Mark also had problems with his camelback; the drinking tube froze around lunch time.

Our trip back went quicker.  We had a nice trail all cleared out for us so the shoeing was easier and we knew we wouldn’t get lost.  As the afternoon wore on more snow and ice was starting to come down.  We noticed in several spots the snow was developing an icy crust.  When we arrived back at the terminal we notice it had warmed up to 20°.

The ride down was much the same as the ride up.  We didn’t see Albuquerque until the last descent down to the bottom terminal.  It had warmed quite a bit in town.  All the snow in the parking lot and on the roads had melted and in some spots the road was dry.

After we unloaded all our gear we stopped in the bar at the bottom of the tram to celebrate our day and start planning our next adventure.

 Thank you for stopping by,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment