Thursday, June 11, 2015

Valles Caldera, a week later (June 5, 2015)



The Caldera draws me/Byron like a magnet.  We were here only two weeks ago but we have to go again.  The people working the desk recognize us from our last visit telling us what kind of water levels and fishing conditions to expect. A few people are signing up for the back road passes but there are still passes available.

As we drive through to the San Antonio Creek I see many photography opportunities.  On the way to our fishing spot we spied a number of animals, notable ones include; a lone elk wandering the meadow near the visitor center, a coyote hunting for a meal and numerous iridescent bluebirds flitting between fence posts.  I will start out catching images of my fishing buddies on the San Antonio going after the native brown trout.  I will also wander the edges of the valley entering the forests that look down on the valley and creek.  This time Tom came along with Byron and me.  Tom is an experienced, long time fly-fisherman who has been here many times since the Preserve opened over ten years ago.  As we drive he tells us his favorite Caldera fishing stories and wildlife encounters.

The small streams that were flowing in the valleys feeding the San Antonio two weeks ago are now trickles.  The San Antonio is also noticeably lower, and clearer, the two fishermen are pleased at these conditions.




Does this make my trunk look big?
Upon arrival at the creek there are already a couple people fly fishing.  Jokingly (I think), mumbling ensues, “They’re catching our fish!”  We follow the road upstream to see if there are others fishing the area.  After a few minute drive upstream we are satisfied; no one is close to our selected location so we stop to prepare our respective equipment.





I hang out with my buddies at the start so I can get a couple images of their day.  Then we each drift to different parts of the creek so as not to spook the trout.  I hunt for photo compositions while the others find a place to start working their way upstream.





As I am shooting I notice small disturbances on the water’s surface followed by shadows shooting away from me: trout!  All my reading, paying attention to my fishing buddies and You-tubing on fly-fishing has made me attentive to the signs of trout.  I see them but at this point I don’t know if they are being caught by my partners.

The twists and turns of the creek provide many images but I decide to head off into the forest to see what I can shoot there.  The wildfires that hit other sections of the Preserve did not make it here.  This is open forest with grasses and occasional downed trees.  We are over 8500’ in elevation so spring is still on its way.  A few more flowers have appeared since my last visit but many more will show up in the coming months, an excuse for yet another trip to the Caldera.


Mid afternoon we reconvene to compare notes on our day, have some lunch and make plans for the afternoon.

We decide to head further upstream; where Byron caught his trout two weeks ago; the end of the open road in the Caldera.  Since there are three of us we tried something a little different; I dropped them off a mile or so downstream so they could work their way up and I drove to the end and worked my way down.  I just had to remember to pass the keys to Byron when we met somewhere in the middle.

Here the stream is very narrow but fairly deep; I can step across it quite easily.  I do so several times searching for good compositions before I decide on a couple locations.  Here the creek runs between one of the lava domes and a small rock outcropping forming a tiny valley.  It flows smoothly so with the right positioning reflection images can be made.

When I catch up with Tom and Byron I can tell they had a good fishing day.  (I did remember to pass on the keys) After comparing notes we each continue in our directions.  The character of the creek changes as it emerges from the valley.  It goes from a deep, narrow, grass lined stream to a wider, shallow rock lined stream, then back again after several hundred feet.  Fly fishing is challenging; the open water is a foot wide between the almost knee high grasses that line the creek.  That doesn’t stop Byron or Tom from catching a few more.


I continue my water shots experimenting with filters and exposures employing different combinations for different effects.

As I wait for Byron and Tom to pick me up I think about the day.  Clouds came and went throughout the day; we had smatterings of rain but never enough to warrant putting on a rain jacket.  It looked threatening several times but it never happened. 

This has been a good day.

Thank you for stopping by,

Mark
    

2 comments:

  1. Great pics and narrative! lol, the burl on that tree, "does this make my trunk look big." funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. -had to check out where you were on a map.... :)

    ReplyDelete