Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Dilemma, January 29, 2016

Click on any image for a larger view

My predicament has been a long time coming…  I looked through my earlier postings and see that it started around 2012 with a hike in the Jemez Mountains, the Rio Cebolla in particular.

I have been day-hiking on and off for the last 25 or so years.  I have been enjoying my hikes through New Mexico with different friends and coworkers; occasionally on my own much to my wife’s apprehension.  During the first years it was enough to get out just hiking.


Tiny, frozen bubbles
While I enjoyed photography, with film it was too much work and expense to want to lug a camera, shoot various things of interest then wait for some period of time for the prints to arrive.  I did a poor job shooting an entire roll of film on a particular hike so each roll may have several outings of which I would have to sort what shots were from what hike; not always easy when it may have taken me over a month to shoot a roll of film.  Upon return of the film, prints were quickly examined with the few superb ones making it into a photo album while the rest were placed back in the sleeve in which they arrived. Even the ‘wonderful’ prints that made it in the photo albums are rarely seen again.  This really hit home last year when I inherited several large boxes of slides from a relative which had passed several years ago.  He was a backpacker frequently carrying a 35mm or a 4x5 camera on his outings.  I started looking through his slides; saw numerous trips to various national parks in CA including Yosemite and others I did not recognize.  After the first hundred or so all the slides looked the same.  I am sorry to admit that they all went into the trash BECAUSE they all looked the same, while they meant a lot to the person who took them they don’t have much if any meaning to anyone else.

Since that time I have been thinking about this collection of stuff; not just photos, stuff in general, although I will focus on images.  I have many photo albums of people and places which mean something to me.  I’m relatively certain each of you have your own photo albums which mean something to each of you.

The problem of all these images has gotten considerably worse with the popularity with digital cameras.   The cost of digital images essentially stays the same whether you shoot one or ten hoping one of the ten is a keeper.  Inevitably if one does come out as the keeper the other nine are still kept ‘just in case’.  As my shooting has improved I have learned that the other nine do not get better, in fact they get worse, even the one ‘keeper’ may not be a keeper any more.  When I went to photo school I would check out a 4x5 school camera for my assignments.  You do not rush shooting with a 4x5.  A great deal of time goes into planning, composing and exposing those images.  That does not include film processing and printing.  You make sure up front you want that image because of all the time and effort that goes into each.  I still have a number of prints I shot with those 4x5 cameras and remember the work involved making them.

I did an internet search on the quantity of photos taken this past year.  One site estimates that over 1 trillion photos were taken in 2015.  I certainly did my part; Adobe Lightroom keeps track of how many images I took last year; 1,998 on my camera and probably several dozen more on my phone. 

NOW is the time to go through images, especially those sitting on my computer.  Here lies my quandary…  Which ones do I keep?  How many images of houses, museums, birthday parties, vacations, and relatives do I really want or need?  I plan on paring down the 12,000 plus images I have shot since 2004.  Since it has taken me four+ years to amass all these images it will take at least that long to pare them to a manageable number, whatever that number is.

On another subject, I bought a fly rod as a Christmas present to myself.  On my second hike of 2016 went fly fishing for the first time.  Hence the title of this post 'Dilemma' …. 

Each time I will hike the question becomes. “Fly rod or camera????”

Both came along on this trip, although I did not bring my tripod.  I can only carry so much and I don’t want to drag a wagon behind me carrying all my stuff.  I found that having a fly rod in hand means I am concentrating on the water; locating possible trout hideouts and ways to get to them.  Occasionally I look for photo ops but that is secondary this day.  I have no expectations on catching anything, and I lived up to those expectations.

Byron and I went to the Guadalupe River just up from the Gilman Tunnels so I could start my new hobby.  The road just north of the Gilman Tunnels is closed for the season so our hike is along the forest road.  At this point the trout do not have to worry about my fly fishing capabilities.  Byron was the photographer on this hike, (no Mark, he did not bring his fly rod).  He helped me with sneaking up on the trout, and casting.  I did manage keep the fly out of the weeds; trees, shrubs and other assorted fly magnets.  I even managed to get the fly to the spot I was aiming for, give or take a few feet.  It was fun.  I will have to work on my patience.  I will do this again, hopefully having better luck.

Check out Byron’s blog with his photo adventure on this day AND photos of my first fly fishing attempt at https://byrondemos.wordpress.com/





Thank you for stopping by,

Mark

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Looking forward to hitting the river with you and Byron this season. I enjoy these trips. The fish might not always bite, but the company is always great!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete