Sunday, June 12, 2016

Rio de las Vacas May 30, June 3, 2016

Click on any image for a larger view!

Looking back over the past several weeks I have to admit that I’ve have been too busy working so I decided I have to take advantage of the holiday and get out for a hike.  My usually enthusiastic hiking, fishing, photo buddies are all busy so I am on my own.  My destination is the Rio de las Vacas in the San Pedro Parks Wilderness.  The las Vacas has been on my to-do list for the past year.  I enjoyed my exploratory hike’s scenery and wonderful small, but deep river so much that the following Friday I talked Mark into going there for a fishing trip.

The San Pedro Parks Wilderness is one of my favorite areas to visit.  It’s not much farther, time wise, than most of the other areas we regularly hike.  NM 550 is usually an empty four lane road; one just has to watch the speed limit. 70 is fast enough for me so speeding is not an issue.  Exiting Cuba by way of NM 126 and various Forest Roads slows travel but for me this is part of the process of decompression.

I usually stop at the San Gregorio Reservior trail head for my hikes but today I continue on to the Palomas trailhead.  Eventually the Palomas trail meets up with the Rio de las Vacas.

There are four other vehicles in the trailhead parking lot on this holiday; I surmise they belong to a number of backpackers.   Several miles into my hike I run into two groups of backpackers returning home.  They had tired smiles on their faces; a good time mixed with carrying everything on their backs.

The trail starts out at a 9300’ elevation with a steep climb as it exits the parking lot keeping up the ascent for the first mile.  I reason that this is to weed out the wanna-be hikers from the real hikers.  Approaching the first meadow, needing to stop for a breather and some water I come upon a family of turkeys having a leisurely breakfast.  After a few seconds the first and largest turkey pops up his head knowing something has changed; his head darts back and forth identifying me, the intruder.  Once spotted, the other family members all spot me then scurry over a rise some distance away. This meadow is the top of the initial climb.  Once past the meadow the trail drops down a steep incline into the Rito de las Perchas river valley.  The river is small, clear and cold with another meadow opening downstream and forest upstream.  It appears that there are a few possible camping spots along the river.  I have to find a narrow spot in the river leaping to a small grass island before traversing to the other side.

Corn lillies
Once past the river I start another climb out of the valley, thankfully this ascent is moderate and shorter than the initial climb.  All along the way I pass between open meadows and forest.  As I continue the gradual ascent to 10,000’, the elevation of the las Vacas, I come across patches of snow.  I don’t really need a compass indicating a general northerly direction since all the snow is hiding in tree shadows.  Spring is in all stages of bloom: dandelions are in abundance; corn lilies a foot tall along the road I drove in are a few inches tall at 9500’.  Other flowers blooming at lower elevations are barely poking their heads out of the ground at elevation.  Aspens just outside of Cuba are fully leafed out, at the trailhead leaves are small, screaming lime green; at 10,000’ buds are showing on one tree with tiny leaves on the next.

The last half mile before converging with the las Vacas the trail enters then follows a dense line of pines providing a hundred yard long shadow on the trail and consequently a hundred yard long by 1 – 3 foot deep continuous snow pile.  I am not certain where the trail goes so I try following where a few footsteps have passed before.  After bobbing back and forth between standing on top of the 2’ snow pile then sinking to my knees in snow the next step I decide to slog through the running water flowing down the adjacent meadow.

Rio de las Vacas
Continuing on, I can hear the las Vacas but I am not able to get a good view or approach it.  There seems to be a wall of pines between the trail and river. I am not ambitious enough to fight my way through the pines at the same time keeping my feet dry from the free flowing water making its way across the open meadows to the las Vacas.  The pines thin out several hundred feet further upstream where I see a clear amber colored stream.  I can step across the river quite easily; most places are only 2 – 3’ wide, but it is deep; at least 6” in the main portion with pools in excess of 2’.

This river valley is different than the other valleys we have visited and fished.  We are at the top of the San Pedro Parks Wilderness.  It doesn’t really get any higher than this.  The valley is wide; there are no ‘walls’ of rock closing us in.  You can see a long way with these conditions; you can see weather coming.  You also have to deal with the wind; since there’s nothing to stop it.

Mark was patient, not breaking out the fly rod until arriving at the las Vacas.  He was temped early in our hike at the las Perchas but I convinced him to wait.  We split up assembling our fishing gear.  Within the first 15 minutes I catch a 10 – 12” brown.  I had seen trout rise in a pool just upstream and was able to convince one to go for my dry.  This is certainly the largest I have caught to date so my day was made.

As the day went on Mark and I leapfrogged each other continuing upstream.  We stop for lunch and compare our fishing.  Since we are not having much success in the open meadow we decide to continue upstream heading towards a section where trees border the river.  Once back among the trees and changing of flies the trout were again interested in our offerings.  Each of us caught several small cutthroats.

By the end of the day we fished just over a mile upstream from our initial contact with the river.  Here the las Vacas is primarily an open meadow stream with pines occasionally lining its banks.





On my return I find that I am naming some of the meadows due to their unique characteristics: turkey, ball field, Christmas tree, marsh and snow.  I’m eager to come back later in the year to see what these meadows look like.





Rito de las Perchas
Thank you for stopping by,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment