Sunday, July 17, 2016

San Antonio Creek/hot springs, July 3, 2016

Click on any image for a larger view

The evening I got back from our fishing expedition on the Rio Puerco Laurie texted me looking for a hiking partner sometime this weekend.  Although I felt good when I got home Friday evening I knew I would not be ready for a hike again on Saturday.  “How about Sunday or Monday?” She replied “We’re on”.

Today’s weather has nothing in common with the cool temperatures, rain and clouds we experienced on Friday.  High 90’s are forecast for Albuquerque, I’m hoping for low 80’s in the Jemez Mountains.




We meet at our usual spot with a couple of her friends from the WOW WE (Way Out West – Westside Explorers) hiking group.  We are searching for the hot springs along the west side of the Valles Caldera just up the hill from the San Antonio Creek.  I have been on the San Antonio Creek several times with my fishing and photography buddies but I have not hiked the extra mile or so to the hot springs.

Since this is a holiday weekend I am anticipating lots of people.  The drive is good, everyone is doing the speed limit; no speeding through Jemez Pueblo or Springs.  As we go over the last few passes before the turnoff to our dirt/gravel forest road we see small puffs of smoke behind a ridgeline several miles away.  Having just seen all the devastation from the Dog Head fire we make sure to look for it on the way out; just in case.

There is dispersed camping along this forest road with campers occupying most of the spots.  With a little trouble we find the turnoff with a ‘parking area’ and trail down to the San Antonio.  There’s a family with small children camping next to the trailhead.

Today I am primarily interested in hiking but bring my DSLR just in case I get inspired.  The sun is blazing away, with an occasional cloud providing relief.  It is comfortable with a breeze but we get warm when the breeze disappears.  Biting flies make an appearance as we get closer to the river.  They follow us at least part of the way towards the springs.  I monitor cloud movement hoping for them to continue building providing a nice backdrop for landscape photos.

Once down the hill the trail is an old forest road that has been blocked off.  Hiking upstream takes you to the western border of the Valles Caldera.  Following the San Antonio downstream takes us to the springs.  I see foot, horse and bicycle tracks as we make our way to the springs.  Once I pass the areas I am familiar with I start my wandering between the trail and the river looking for images.

The valley starts narrowing a bit as we approach the springs.  There is a wooden footbridge crossing the river so I know we must be close.  The other clue is the dozen or so people coming and going up the path to the springs.

The springs are a hundred or so feet above the valley floor.   The path parallels part of the runoff veering away when the slope gets too steep for the direct approach to the pools.  I stop at a small waterfall planning for a long exposure image without my tripod.  Fortunately there is a tree lying near the falls that I can use as support for my camera.  I glance at the sky yet again hoping for several minutes of cloud cover while composing my image.

After I get my shot we notice a group of several early to mid 20 year olds carrying a large container up the path.  I don’t recognize it at first, then thought it can’t be, but it was…  A quarter barrel of beer carried by two guys.  They are going to the springs to celebrate the wedding of two of their group.  They said they had hiked about a mile from the parking area to the springs.  If they weren’t thirsty when they started they must have been at this point of their hike.  I would not have wanted their head after drinking beer in a hot spring then hiking back a mile or so.  Too be young again, NOT!

On our hike back the heat continues to build.  During the brief periods of still air the biting flies make another run at us.  This is the first time on this river that I have had to deal with these bloodthirsty insects.

Just at the start of the long climb back to the top of the trail we run into the family camped at the trailhead.  They are new to the area so I filled them in on a number of different camping, and fishing areas mainly within the Jemez Mountains.  They have four kids, two of which are old and strong enough to ascend the 300’ climb back to their campsite.  The other two needed carrying.  I did not complain about the weight of my backpack!

It was another good day.

Thank you for stopping by,


Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment