Saturday, December 24, 2016

Northern Wisconsin, November 17-26, 2016

Click on any image for a larger view

My trip to northern Wisconsin starts in the 70’s (temperature, not the year).  20 degree temperatures are forecast for my destination but even this forecast is better than last year’s dodging of snow, ice and rain.

Family lives north of the frozen tundra, Green Bay, Wisconsin.  Many years ago I gave up on visiting family for Christmas, especially when one weather forecast was for overnight snow flurries; I woke the next morning to 6” of snow flurries on my car.  I don’t look forward to the joys of snow shoveling.  After living in NM for the last 30+ years my once a year shoveling duties are sufficient.



I resist the temptation to turn on the A/C as I travel across Texas into Oklahoma.  Enjoy the heat.  Tomorrow’s forecast is for highs in the low 50’s decreasing as I continue north.  Entering Wisconsin the highs are in the low 30’s with wind.  Outside of Milwaukee I see grass poking up through the recent dusting of snow.  Fortunately the snow is only on lawns and shaded areas.

I am on a tight schedule going north.  Henning’s Cheese store is only open until noon on Saturday.  I must have cheese!  I make it with 30 minutes to spare, make my selections, then stand in line with other cheeseheads waiting to pay for our precious cheeses.  One advantage to the cold weather is no additional ice is needed for the Coleman cooler.  My 30 quart cooler is large enough for my cheese and sausage assortment along with the green chile chip dip and frozen green chile care packages for WI family and friends.

It is in the low 20’s upon arrival at home.  My winter coat, warm and toasty in NM, struggles to keep me warm under these conditions.  Another layer, or two, of clothing is needed.  Past experience has given me the foresight to pack many layers of clothing.  After visiting and adding a few layers I walk the neighborhood with mom, while I am not particularly warm I am not shivering either.  I don’t feel too bad considering I was enjoying 70° temperatures two days earlier.



My idea of hiking; shooting some photos, just getting outside, keeping me moving and warm at the same time is thwarted.  It’s hunting season.  You don’t wander around in the woods at this time of year.  My brother-in-law offered his orange hunting garb but even then he was not overly excited about anyone going out into the woods unless they were actually hunting.  Not wanting to become the target of possible beer drinking hunters I acquiesced.  Instead I spend the time visiting family and friends and walking through town, including a visit to the local library to peruse local publications.

One of my friends and former coworkers from NM, recently retired, moved to this same area.  I stopped in for a visit passing on one of the chile care packages.  They still enjoy living here after their first full year of seasonal changes. Their additional garage is already filled with the necessary tools and toys one needs in the great white north; especially the self propelled snow blower.

Snow came Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.  This time I can say the snow is beautiful; I’m only going to be here a few more days to enjoy it.  It snowed all day eventually ending up with 6+ inches everywhere.  Heeding the call “Bad weather makes for good photography”, I headed out.  I did not wander far from the roads thinking that any hunting is occurring far in the woods.  I did not hear any shooting the entire time I was out so I feel comfortable with my decision.  I stopped at five or six locations where water; lake, river or stream pass under the road.  At times the snow was lightly falling, other times it is wind driven.  This is the time to be out photographing snow; fresh, soft, delicate.  Sound is muted; you can hear the snow as it calmly falls.  Tree branches support the accumulating snow gracefully until the temperature warms and breezes cause the branches to shed the snow in small piles around each tree’s trunk.  I ignore the fact I am getting cold and damp, not thinking to pack my rain pants.  Each excursion is brief; not more than 30 minutes at each location before jumping into the warm car searching for my next inspiration.  I didn’t stop until the overcast day started to darken.  I was out over four hours taking advantage of these conditions; conditions rare to NM.

The next day, Thanksgiving, the snow already looks different.  It is not piled in soft mounds; it is already packing down, settling in for the winter, not disappearing until many warm spring days cause it to disappear into the thick, sloppy, dark brown ground, “mud season”.

My sister and brother-in-law host Thanksgiving.  They both love to cook, filling tables with food for all those that show up.  This year there are nine of us enjoying the food and each other’s company.  We didn’t even put a dent into the second half of the 23 lb. turkey.  One of the things I miss when celebrating Thanksgiving away from home is the leftover: turkey ala king, turkey sandwiches, turkey enchiladas, turkey tacos … mmm.




Black Friday I start my trip back to NM.  Traffic is light except for the freeway entrances and exits around shopping malls.  Once I get to Minneapolis the snow is gone.  Green and brown parallel the road for the next several hundred miles.  The temperatures return to comfortable levels passing through Texas, 50’s for part of the day.  Approaching Albuquerque the temperature dips to the low 40’s with clouds and wind.  My light weight winter jacket is sufficient for this cold spell.



I’m thinking of moving my next year’s Thanksgiving celebration to the beginning of November.  I don’t want to push my weather luck for a third year.  

Thank you for stopping by,
Mark

1 comment:

  1. awwww Sorry you didn't enjoy the snow more! I must admit it is not as lovely to me as when I was younger. But so glad you spent Thanksgiving with us again...:)

    ReplyDelete