Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Pecos Wilderness, Iron Gate Campground, Early October, 2017

Click on any image for a larger view

We are looking for peak fall color!  Rain and winds have been passing through the state this past week; my hopes are not high as I intently study the weather on the three local TV stations.  I didn’t see any fall color when I passed through northern NM on my trip back from WI in mid September so maybe there’s a chance.




I called several possible campgrounds in north central NM to see: if they are open, if there are open campsites, what weather have they had, what weather are they expecting, what are the road conditions and finally, what are the fall color conditions.  Reports were: We had rain and wind, expecting better weather, but windy, yes we are open or no we are closed for the year, (that one was easy to drop from the list) and yes there was fall color earlier this week but there haven’t been any updates over the past few days.  So we picked the closest one with the best prognosis; Iron Gate Campground in the Pecos Wilderness.

Refrigerator stuffed with food we start our trip.  Terry and I are excited; this will be a four day weekend with Columbus Day extending our normal weekend by another day.  Driving up the Pecos River valley I see that yesterday’s rain has swollen the river.  Stopping I see strands of grass in the river telling me it is above its normal level, especially for this time of year.  Along the way we also spot signs of fall color.  I’m hoping more color appears as we climb in elevation.

Turning on to FR223 I shift into 4WD.  The forest ranger I spoke with earlier this morning said the road is pretty good but also suggested to have a high clearance vehicle to negotiate the sometimes deep water-filled ruts.  Terry and I looked at each other more than once, simultaneously saying “Wow that was deep” as the truck creeped through a number of pools of water.

Climbing higher, approaching 9,000’ the aspen are glowing gold in the sun.  The leaves are battering each other in the wind.  Opening the windows we catch the smell of the pines lining the road.

Iron Gate campground is about half full of vehicles, most of them with horse trailers.  Actual campers occupy three sites counting ours.




After a bite to eat we head out to the Hamilton Mesa.  The hike is a few miles long with continual up and down sections of trail.  The trail is on the leeward side of the mesa under the given the windy conditions.  Approaching the top of the mesa, still surrounded by forest; we see, hear and feel the wind.  Once in the open the wind is incessant.  Even though the views of the surrounding mesas and mountain tops are spectacular, I turn around ducking back into the forest for respite.  I wonder how the leaves are able to hold on with all the wind.

The wind is relentless as we arrive back at our campsite.  30 – 40 mile an hour winds were forecast in Tererro but we are on the top of the mesa ‘enjoying’ the fresh air.  We struggled for better than a half hour trying to get the charcoal grill lit then get hot enough to cook chicken.  We ended up hiding behind one of the wheels of my truck, the only place where I could keep the lighter lit long enough to ignite the newspaper for the charcoal.  No campfire tonight.

Even with the wind howling most of the night the popup camper performed well.  The sides did not blow in and out, a slight rustling but nothing more.  I did not know what to expect under these conditions and when looking to buy I questioned Matt at Hallmark about wall performance in the wind.  They were right; no major shaking, rattling or rolling happened.  Even though the sides stayed calm I could hear the muffled wind in the trees.  I did fall asleep, waking a few times through the night.  Finally I woke to still air, which I think woke me having gotten used to the gusty wind.


I get up to 38° and a cloudless sky.  The sun is already shining on the line of mountains to the west but we are in the cool shade of the forest surrounding us.  Terry sleeps in so I stealthily retrieve my camera from the camper so I can explore the area around the campground and wander down one of the trails.
The birds, having endured the wind from yesterday are out in full force, singing and winging their way from tree to tree.  They are probably celebrating making it to another day.  Butterflies and other winged insects are also out soaking up the sun and looking for flowers to feed on.

Today is a gorgeous day, lots of sunshine, warm temperatures, about 70, and no wind.  We take off towards Jack’s Creek.  The sign says 1.5 miles.  After the 1.5 miles we are still several hundred feet above the river.  We get glimpses of a steep bare rock wall on the opposite site of the canyon; we can only assume the wall is the same on our side.  Terry wisely calls it a day, relaxing before hiking back out.  I on the other hand have to see the river.  I can hear it, but I can’t see it.  My hike is easy, descending for another mile.  All the while I’m thinking of the not so easy ascent I will get to make on my hike back out.  Finally, I arrive at the Pecos River.  It is still flowing strong.  Following paths along the river I scout for fishing spots.  The river is flanked by small trees and shrubs making fishing a challenge, the only way to fish this without catching trees or shrubs will be to wade it.  Today the flow is too strong, at least for me, to even want to try wading.

Arriving back at camp, sweating from the 900’ vertical climb out of the canyon I find Terry enjoying the sun, reclining in a chair, listening to her book.  We both made right decisions, she hiked a bit then relaxes; I went to see the river.  I’m worn out, but happy.

No wind tonight; Campfire time!  We brought a bunch of wood for a long burning, hot fire.  Cool temperatures are expected, upper 30’s by early morning.  Both of us work to get kindling in place before sun down so it’s a matter of lighting the tinder and watching the fire grow from there.  Swirling breezes keeps us dancing around the fire most of the night working to stay out of the smoke plume.  Both of us poke at the fire, a favorite hobby of mine, to get every last bit of heat and flame out of the wood.  As the fire turns into a bed of red glowing embers we imagine seeing city lights flickering in the dark.  For some reason a baked potato pops into my brain.  The bed of coals would be a prime spot for a baked potato this evening.  Maybe next time.  Besides I didn’t bring sour cream, bacon bits or chives…

Turning in for the night I can tell that I didn’t do a good enough job of staying out of the smoke.  My clothes have the aroma of burnt wood.  It doesn’t keep me up though as I drift off to a restful sleep.






Sunday starts with even better weather.  Pulling out my GPS I see that I can bushwhack my way to the trail instead of following the blazed trail.  This section of the forest has lots of downed trees but with lots of zigzagging I am able to avoid crawling over the decaying trees ultimately arriving at the edge of the valley.  Glowing aspen are interspersed with pines all along the valley.  If I am willing to battle my way through the scrub oak I can work my way into a large stand of glowing aspen just below me.  I look for game trails through the chest high oaks.  Arriving, I immediately notice the area under the aspen opens into a shaded meadow.  Grasses and wildflowers replace the oaks.  The light looks golden from the mantle of autumn colored leaves.

Returning to the camper we have breakfast planning our hike for the day.  Today makes three consecutive days of hiking.  This is the most I have hiked since the Christmas trip to Sedona the end of last year.  While I am not beat I feel the hikes, being at 9300’ contributes to my fatigue.




We lost track of the days with the additional holiday; it contributes to the nice relaxed frame of mind.  Wondering why there are so many people hiking we finally realize it’s Sunday.  Others are out enjoying the fall colors too.

Throughout the day several groups of successful elk hunters passed through the campground on horseback.  Each group had a least one elk. 





Finishing our meal of Greek chicken and other leftovers we settled in for another evening in front of a campfire.  Earlier I had scoured the forest adjacent to the campground for fallen branches; better to have too much wood than not enough.  We turn in early, before finishing the wood.  Three days of hiking, fresh air and enjoying the weekend catches up with us.

Monday we wake to wind and cloudy skies; looking like impending rain.  After breakfast we pack, readying ourselves for the big city.  Before leaving the Pecos Wilderness we tour Jack’s Creek campground, I’m always on the lookout for more campgrounds to add to my list.

Exiting the Pecos Wilderness the clouds break returning us to the normal sunny days we expect.  Looking back I notice the clouds keep hanging over the mountains making up the Pecos Wilderness.  This area seems to make its own weather.


This was a great weekend, can’t wait to do it again.

Thank you for stopping by

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment