Friday, September 11, 2009

Kayaking day 6 - the final day

I slept remarkably well considering my 2” thermarest pad was the only thing cushioning me from the rocks. It lightly rained off and on most of the night. I woke up to the sound of a humpback whale blowing somewhere near.

We had breakfast and packed in light rain showers and cloudy skies. That was the forecast for the day. You could tell we were getting closer to Port Hardy by all the fishing boats out in the channel. Everybody was out salmon fishing because the salmon were starting to run up the rivers.

We made one brief stop on a beach to stretch our legs. The tide made its appearance again. Not more than 5 minutes after we stopped and put the kayaks on land we found ourselves up to our ankles in water! I’ve never seen such a change.

It seemed that the closer we got to town the faster we paddled. I don’t know if it’s because of the dark rain cloud coming our way or the promise of a shower once we checked back into the hotel, the latter I think.

After packing up all our stuff and another great lunch served by our guides we checked into the hotel and had a post trip coffee and visit with our guides before they went on their way to prepare for the next week’s trip.

All the guests went back to their hotels for a long hot shower, at least I did, a change of clothes, and a dinner with our fellow kayakers. We had a great time telling stories of our trip and I’m certain that I may run into them again on another kayaking trip.

Kara, on of our guides, kept records of our trip. In all we kayaked 50 miles and averaged 2 – 2.5 knots, which she said is quite good.

I had a great time on this portion of my trip. I’m certainly hoping I will be able to do it again, maybe not at this location but somewhere. I guess that’s the measure of whether you really had a good time.

Stay tuned… I will also be reporting on the other parts of my trip.

Thank you for stopping by.
Mark

1 comment:

  1. o Mark, these pics are awesome, your descriptions great. LOVE the pic of the bear at the top! sounds like an incredibly tiring trip, but what an experience. thanks for sharing all of it!

    ReplyDelete