Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Final day

Today is my last day on Vancouver Island. I had a great time and I’m hoping to return some day to see some of these sights again as well as many others.

I had my final breakfast at Captain Hardy’s restaurant. I ordered 2 pancakes which turned out to be the size of the plate and very thick. Since I knew I would be walking a lot I made sure to finish all of my breakfast.

The flight to Vancouver was uneventful, the plane was full the flight attendant was busy again with passing out snacks, drinks and candy just like on the way up to Port Hardy.

Once I Vancouver I caught a taxi to the Buchan Hotel close to Stanley Park, Vancouver’s version of Central Park in New York. From the outside the hotel looks like an apartment building. It has old wood flooring in the hallways and the rooms are quite small but comfortable. I wasn’t there for the hotel so basic hotel run locally was just fine for me. It turned out the hotel is only a block away from the park. I followed the seawall walk around the perimeter of the park. It was quite busy because it was a Sunday; there were walkers, bikers and skaters moving constantly. All in all I walked about 8 miles to/from and around the park.

That evening I walked a half block to Denman street where I had my choice of restaurants, coffee shops, galleries and almost anything you can think of. After dinner at one of the Greek restaurants I walked several blocks to English Bay and caught the sunset. The park was packed with many people of different nationalities.

Vancouver seems to be a special place. There are over 2.2 million people that live there. I visited only a small part of the city but on the rides to and from the airport the city was very clean. People seem to take pride in their city and clean up after themselves. Even at the parks there was little to no litter.

The next day I made the trip back home to NM. I had a great time on this vacation and I’m starting to think about my next one. My only hope is that Sue will be able to get away with me.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my trip. I really enjoyed writing about it.

Thank you for stopping by.

Mark

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I enjoyed sights I probably will never see. Thanks for the great pics. The best vacations are spent with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pics and story, Mark. Makes me want to go there! Got the DVD yesterday, is it the same as what you will be sending mom and dad for their computer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the best vacations are in nature. I felt totally rejuvenated when I got back home.

    I thought that I might have been worn out, achy or sore at the end of each day from the camping and kayaking but I didn't feel any of that. I was having too much fun seeing and doing all these different things to let any of that slow me down.

    ReplyDelete