Thursday, November 15, 2012

Vancouver part II

On my other full day in Vancouver (on my return trip) I took the city bus to the University of British Columbia to see the Museum of Anthropology. Be sure to go there if you have the opportunity. They have a lot of items from the First Nations peoples, Canada’s version of our Native Americans. I am astounded at the carving they did; the family (totem) poles are amazing! They also carved out their own boats from cedar trees. The people that lived in this area did not have to travel or live as hunter/gatherers because they could grow what they needed and live off the salmon that came up the rivers every year. Because everything was right there they were able to build permanent houses and villages. The family poles erected outside their homes told stories about the family that lived there.  They consist mainly of animal carvings; ravens, bears, wolves, orcas and frogs among others. The image above shows a replica of Haida Gwaii buildings.  

The First Nation's people are also know for their bentwood boxes.  The following photos are of a bentwood box which consists a single piece of cedar whach were steamed and bent into a box shape.  The one seen here actually used for cooking was water tight.  It's approximately 12" on a side by 15" tall.


The image of the inside of the box shows how the sides are laced together using cedar lacing.












The museum has a huge collection of almost anything you can think of (think of what you saved in your attic or basement (just the good stuff)). I was there for three hours and barely touched on what they had to see.


 
I stopped at Granville Island to see the Public Market, endless food; fruits, vegetables, cheeses, meats, seafood, flowers and all kinds of other items. It is very colorful, lively and the bakery is tasty! I had blueberries several times while in Vancouver and they have more flavor that any I can remember. There are also many galleries and general tourist shops in the area.









I rode through Chinatown and Gastown, the original part of Vancouver, before I stopped at a local pub for a sandwich. I stayed long enough to miss the final trolley that would have taken me back to the hotel so I walked about a half hour across downtown back to my room. That night I made my ritualistic walk down to the bay to watch my last sunset before my flight back home.

Bear photos are coming, soon.

Thank you for stopping by,
Mark




No comments:

Post a Comment