Friday, March 31, 2017

Northern Wisconsin, March 10, 2017

Click on any image fora larger view.

My rental car’s thermometer says it’s 10°.  I let the car warm up before taking off on my photo expedition.  Thankfully the car has heated seats, but they seem to take way too long to warm my butt.  Warm air will not pour out of the vents for another 10 minutes.  I’m still going.

My extra layer of clothing and the ‘heavy NM winter jacket’ barely keeps me warm, don’t ask about wind.  But I’m still going



It’s cold enough that snow, other than what is already on the ground, won't make an appearance; smarter than me, you are probably thinking.

Arriving at my first destination I am reminded on how cold 10° is.  Snow crunches underfoot, I immediately question my sanity “Why am I out here in 10° weather.”  My answer… “There certainly won’t be a lot of other people out here shooting the ice and snow.”  I was right, there wasn’t anybody else out shooting.


I do not normally plan on visiting Northern WI in March, up until a few days earlier it was pretty much the furthest thing from my mind; but a hospital and surgery was involved; I wanted to be there to help where I could.  Once everybody was back home and the routine reestablished I felt comfortable with going out for a few hours one afternoon.  Update: I’m happy to report that all is well with everything back to normal.













The snow is still here from the first snow of the season; making its appearance just before Thanksgiving.  I remember because I was here for that snow storm.  You can read about it in my Dec 24, 2016 blog posting.  I’m glad I only have to deal with the snow on short terms.  I don’t want to think about having to look at a white blanket from late Nov through early March, possibly longer depending on when warm weather decides to make an appearance.  The lakes are still frozen over, however there are no fish shanties dotting any lakes.  I did see a couple guys walking across one lake pulling a sled behind them.  Not knowing how much ice is needed to support me, or how thick the remaining ice is, I decide to observe from the shore.


Even in the cold, people are going about their regular routines: grocery shopping, buying gas, and stopping at fast food restaurants.  There was even a crew of loggers cutting down trees, picking them up with their behemoth vehicles, then stacking the logs on trailers for delivery.




I have a few favorite locations to shoot, all involving water; the Wisconsin River outside of Eagle River being the main one.  Ponds and streams alongside roads are my other favorites.

Sections of streams all have some open running water; where water stops ice forms.  Arriving at the Wisconsin River I regularly hear ice cracking.  Small pieces of ice flow under the large sheets making up the top layer of the river.  I have been to this location several times at different times of the year.  A few years ago I got poison ivy somewhere in this area.  I don’t believe I can get it from frozen sticks protruding through the snow but I am not taking any chances.  I also notice that the normally spongy ground during the summer is frozen solid; it feels like walking on uneven pavement.  Walking along the shore I spot a couple metal desk chairs overlooking the river waiting for summer.

It was a good day.

Thank you for stopping by,

Mark 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE these shots!!! Very pretty pieces of winter. Just an FYI, there is still ice on our lake and others, although there were some reports of people falling through this week. Most of the snow has been reduced to icy puddles, but the shady areas still have dirty piles of icy snow.

    ReplyDelete