Friday, September 29, 2017

Road trip - Sept 2017

Click on any image for a larger view

Road to a campsite
I’m celebrating the holidays early this year.  The past two years I’ve celebrated Thanksgiving with family in Northern WI.  I do not like flying, I like driving, so I drive.  The drive takes two long days.  If I fly, it takes one long day with all the waiting in an airport and other stuff necessary to fly.  My aggravation factor is lower when driving so it is worth the extra travel day to me.

Leaving on Labor Day weekend is asking for mobs of people on the road and camping so I held off until Sunday so I would have only one day of campsite searching.


Scouring the internet reveals several BLM, state and federal campgrounds along my route.  They are not exactly on the interstate, 10 – 15 miles away, but that should eliminate the drone of continuous traffic.  There is always boondocking in a parking lot; not my first option this early in my camping career.

After 10 hours of empty road driving I arrive at Ponca City, OK.  My first choice is on the lake upstream of the Kaw dam.  The lake is huge, it has to be, to hold all the swimmers, water skiers, boaters, kayakers, canoers … you get the idea.  Seeing all these people lowered my expectation of finding a campsite.  My first choice was packed with nobody looking like they would be leaving anytime soon.  My IPhone directed me to the next choice, the Ponca City campground on another lake.  The campground is a loop road with open and shaded spaces.  Querying a few campers enjoying their weekend, “Grab an open spot, first come, first served”.  I needed no encouragement finding a couple trees to pull under hiding from the 95° sun driven heat.  After a few minutes I was reminded that when there is humidity, shade does not necessarily make you feel cooler. 

Even though I have been driving the past ten hours the first thing I do is pull out a chair to sit down.  Go figure.

Amazingly there are no mosquitoes; no complaints pass my lips.

Everyone else in the campground seems to have kids.  Kids are everywhere; running, throwing rocks and playing games.  Mostly they run into their tents to jump around on the air mattresses.  Mom came by several times that afternoon yelling to get them out of the tent.

As the sun goes down; cicadas start their buzzing, followed by other insects starting the symphony of whirring or chirping.  Mosquitoes also start making their appearance.

As the darkness deepens another sound appears; loud country music on a car radio, almost loud enough for the entire campground to enjoy?!?  Fireworks follow, several of them on par with what the city might put on for Independence Day.  All of a sudden everything goes quiet… A vehicle slowly crawls through the campground stopping to speak with a few of the campers.  The local police.  After several minutes of visiting they head off.  A minute later the human driven noise resumes, although at a lower volume. 

MacBride campground
More mosquitoes start their buzzing, not quite certain if they want my New Mexico blood; I don’t give them the opportunity disappearing into my camper for the night.  Tonight I will see how well the new mattress topper works.  Sleep comes quickly; even with the noise.

I allow myself the luxury of sleeping in past 5.  Many more miles today.  The topper worked well so I feel refreshed and ready to go.

Morning is my favorite time for driving.  Not many people like the early morning so the roads are empty.  I like seeing the sometimes colorful sky before sunrise.  The low hollows are filled with fog with wisps drifting across the road.  The sky is so dense that I don’t notice the sunrise over the distant horizon even though the sky is cloudless.  The sun is a red ball; I don’t need to shade my eyes from its glare.  As the morning progresses the red ball turns to orange, yellow, then to blinding white.  As the sun climbs, so does the heat.  I finally give in; turning on the air conditioner. 

There are only narrow strips of mowed grass off the shoulder of the interstate.  The rest is a buffet of wildflowers for pollinators to dine upon.  Red, blue, yellow, white; short, tall, single flowers and shrubs. Wildflowers line the road for miles.

Traffic picks up on I-80.  The day turns to afternoon so I see more camping traffic as they are making their way home from the holiday weekend.

I arrive at MacBride campground near Solon, IA.   As I hoped, the heavily treed campground is empty.  I have my choice from 50 empty sites; only five other families are staying the night.

Acorns
Stepping out of the truck my feet almost go out from under me from all the ‘marbles’ laying on the ground.  Acorns/marbles are everywhere.  They are easily crushed under truck tires, but not under my hiking boots.  Acorns rain down on the campground with every gust of wind.  I jump each time one hits the camper roof.  BANG…… BANG.. BANG.  Sitting outside I almost wish I had brought my hardhat from work.

Wandering down to the lake I find several fishermen.  Nobody has any fish.  Each one tells me they had just arrived.  This seems kind of suspicious, everyone just arrived.  I did not see a fishing bus in the parking lot so I have this feeling they were not having a good day - SAYING they had just arrived.  One can never tell with a fisherman, I know.  Even down by the lake there is an unusual absence of mosquitoes.  I start wondering if they are all congregating in northern WI waiting to ambush me.

I notice unique fire rings at each campsite.  There are two grates that swing on and off a fire.  I like the idea.  Enjoying the evening, looking at the fire rings off in the distance I easily imagine each one is a deer bedded down.  I see fireflies circling in the woods and bats overhead dipping and diving for their meals.  As I go to bed the winds pick up…  BANG.  I’m expecting to BANG find dents in the hood of the truck tomorrow.

Throughout the night I was startled several times by yet more acorns but overall had a good night’s sleep.  No dents in the hood.  One more long day with a few planned stops including a cheese run to Henning’s Cheese outside Kiel, WI.

The further north I travel the more ominous the sky becomes.  Once in WI the skies are pale blue with gray-white clouds rushing in from the north.  If this was November, or later; I would expect snow instead of rain.  Within an hour the sky is a blanket of dark gray.  Rain and wind take turns buffeting the truck as I continue north.

I notice the truck’s thermometer as I pull in the driveway; 53.  Sunday I was baking at 97, Monday 75, today 53.  I’m glad I have some cold weather clothing.  I admit I’m a cold weather wimp having lived in the desert for the past 30 years.  I’m hoping tomorrow’s reading on the thermometer does not continue this downward trend of 20° a day.  I was invited to sleep in a warm house but declined; I want the full camping experience.

The camper furnace works well.  I had tried it out prior to leaving on the trip but it’s hard to tell if the furnace is putting out hot air when it’s 95 outside, even hotter in the camper.

Deerskin Creek
I got out for a few walks and visited the local library, twice.  I had to go back the second time so I could study their 2017 Milepost book.  It is the ‘bible’ for those driving to Alaska.  I spent a couple hours going through just a portion of it.  Returning the book I spotted an ‘Alaskan camping’ book.  I spent another half hour studying that.  Alaska has been on my list of places to go.  After studying those books it has moved up several spots.

Bose Lake
I made a run to the National Forest office to gather maps and get some advice on a good trail to hike.  I also stop at one of the local fishing guide shops to find a good trout stream or two.  I am told this is not trout country, bass and muskies prevail.  I was directed to the only one in the area, Deerskin Creek.  My maps also show several dispersed camping sites.  I make an afternoon of my search for the creek and several of the hidden camp sites.

My visit with family goes too fast.  I stayed a week but it doesn’t seem that way as I look back on it.  

The timing of this trip sure beats dodging the weather of late November.

It has been a good trip

Thank you for stopping by,

Mark 

1 comment: