Saturday, August 26, 2017

San Antonio Creek, August 11 - 13, 2017

Click on any image for a larger view

“Bad weather makes for good photography”.  One of the many statements uttered from my landscape photo instructors.  Bad weather is promised; rain most of the day Friday and Saturday with partial clearing on Sunday.  How much rain, who knows, somewhere over a half in is promised in Jemez Springs.  I’m going higher so I’m expecting more.



This is the second expedition in my camper.  I’m not expecting any problems; but I don’t want my truck sitting in water and or mud up to my axles.  Paranoia abounds since I have not been on this forest road in a couple of years, all I remember is deep ruts and loose gravel under dry conditions.

The Jemez district forest office says the roads are fine; they have not received any rain for the past few days, but strongly suggest a high clearance 4 X 4.  This is a dispersed camping area; I have a spot in mind about 7 miles north of NM 126.  The road parallels the San Antonio Creek along the top of the mesa immediately to the west of the valley.

I finish packing around 8 Friday morning making sure for the third time I have everything I need.  Once before I only checked twice and found upon arrival at the campsite I didn’t pack my sleeping bag.  I used all the cold weather blankets and jackets stashed in my truck to keep me warm on that trip.  I don’t want to experience that again.

The trip is uneventful until I get to the forest road.  With the exception of a few stretches where I have to straddle the deep ruts running up (or down) hill the road is pretty good.  It takes me about 30 minutes to drive the 7 miles. 

A few of the prospective sites are either already taken, or the campers have not left yet.  Arriving at the site adjacent to the trail to the valley floor I see several cars already parked.  I continue on but the next mile of road is an occupied cow pasture.  They stare at me as I pass but this is not an area I wish to walk around in the middle of the night, or during the day for that matter.

Returning towards the site near the trail I decide I have to look ever closer at prospective sites.  The second one I came across had just opened; as I passed on the way in I saw a vehicle with its lights on but I didn’t know if they were setting up or leaving.  Fortunately for me they were leaving.  I jump out of the truck for a quick look taking the site immediately.  With some apprehension I open the door of the camper hoping there are no catastrophes from items spread over the floor because I forgot to secure everything in the camper.  All is good.  After setting up and wandering along the top of the cliff I decide I have the best site in the area.  I am intentionally not being too specific about my campsite; you will have to find this one on your own.

After lunch I load up my pack with camera and fishing equipment.  Using my GPS I am able to hike directly from my campsite to the old forest road taking me down to the valley.  On cue with my arrival at the valley, thunder rolls in along with light rain.  I put on my rain jacket but within a couple of minutes I have to don my rain pants as the deluge commences.  I keep telling myself this weather will make for good photographs as I move my camera to a drier spot inside my pack.  Within minutes my hiking shoes are soaked.  The year-old waterproofing holds up, keeping my feet mostly dry.  Following along the abandoned road towards the Valles Caldera I come to the fence which kept us inside the Caldera a few weeks ago.  Slowly the rain moves up the valley but the ominous, dark clouds remain.  I hike downstream a mile or so to try fishing.  I hope I remember all the things Byron, Mark and Tom taught me as I have no outside guidance this time.  Within the first few minutes I pull in my first brown trout so I’m feeling pretty good.  In all I catch about a half dozen before a longer term moderate rain moves in.  The rain increases to the point where I cannot see the flies, so I call it a day.  I endure a 45 minute soaking hike back to the camper; with the rain continuing on for an additional hour after arriving at the camp site.  One last look before entering my welcoming dry camper I check the river valley; it shows promise of some ‘good’ photography coming later this evening.  Ahhh… a dry place to make dinner and relax.

As evening progresses the clouds lower, flowing in and around the mountain tops of the Caldera.  It’s too wet for a campfire so once it’s too dark to see the outside show I retire to the camper to read.

Being in the camper I feel closer to nature without having to deal with the wet of being in a tent.  At home I do not hear the rain hitting the roof.  Having refrigerated air means I keep my windows closed most of the time.  The sound of the rain pattering on the roof lulls me to sleep with visions of valley fog for the morning.

My expectations of waking to some fog are surpassed.  The valley is full of fog.  The mountains are covered.  All I see is a white world.  Nothing exists beyond the edge of the cliff I am camped on.  My campsite and everything in it are the only things that exist this morning.

The sun is out ‘there’, but all I see is a large undefined bright area.


I shoot the ever changing fog for a few hours.  It flows through the valley to the south, lowering to reveal the profile of the mountain across the valley; then thickening, covering the mountain again. The little cerros in the San Antonio valley play peek-a-boo with the shifting fog.  As I think the show has come to an end more fog moves in.  As the sun burns off areas of fog I see long shadows of the trees raking across the remaining fog.  Sitting back watching the scene unfold I see droplets of moisture illuminated by the sun wafting past me.  This display of nature happens in total silence.  Being from the city, noise accompanies everything, here the silence is deafening.

The entire valley finally appears after several hours of the sun vs. fog wrestling match.  Later that morning several cars pull up to a trailhead inside the Valles Caldera deploying eager hikers.  The scenes I witnessed earlier could only happen by being there; enjoying the previous night and rising early to catch the sunrise.  I am elated that I could witness it.









Hiking off in a different direction I work my way across the mesa, deeper into the forest.  Following an old forest road means I don’t have to bushwhack allowing me to cover more territory.  I see hoof prints and elk droppings, hear lots of birds and dodge hordes of grasshoppers all making racket as they fly out of my path.  The sounds emanating from the grasshoppers remind me of the days when we put playing cards in the spokes of our bikes.  Clouds roll over me, getting darker as I continue.  It decides to rain on me once again, but not with the ferocity of the previous day.  The rain wins again as I decide to return from my hike.  The campsite is a bit wet but with the clouds parting the sun starts drying out my pile of tinder and kindling for the fire this evening.  I have to have a campfire at least once this weekend!

After a short nap; because I regularly have to check my eyelids for light leaks; I decide to hang around the campsite.  I am supposed to be relaxing after all.  Dinner, a campfire and staying up to see the Milky Way are on my agenda this evening.  All three were contentedly enjoyed.

I was awakened a couple times overnight; once by an elk bugling, and sometime later by a pack of coyotes howling.  It sounded like everyone was off in the distance, probably in the valley.

Sunday arrives too soon.  I’m meeting Laurie and Nicida for a hike along the San Antonio Creek.  Packing up and closing the camper seems to be somewhat routine.  I have opened and closed the camper many times while at home trying everything out before this trip.  I made a list of a few things to bring along to make my adventures easier and more pleasurable but overall everything went well.

We don’t make the connection at the campsite so I hike down to the San Antonio for some more photography.  Today there are several people enjoying the day.  I didn’t see or hear much more that a dozen people the two previous days, just what I was hoping for.  About a mile downstream I see two familiar profiles coming my way; Laurie and Nicida.  They actually listened to my directions and decided they missed me, turning around probably a mile from where I was waiting for them.  We continue back along the creek, they on one side, I on the other.  All along we scout for logs, rocks, shallow areas for them to cross but no luck.  Finally, almost knocking at the gate of the Valles Caldera Laurie crosses the creek shoe-less while Nicida hops across the creek on a couple rocks poking their heads above the water.



Arriving back at the truck, after a long climb up the trail, we have to find where Nicida parked.  “It’s at one of the turnoffs between where we are sitting now and Hwy 126”.  It is about 7 miles, fortunately there are not a lot of turnoffs to choose from.  This is a good opportunity to try a few additional turn-offs, scouting for other campsites.  We come to a turnoff ‘that looks familiar’ and we find a lonesome SUV waiting for its owner.

This was a good weekend.

Thank you for stopping by.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment