Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Eastern Sierra Workshop, part 9, final part

Today is the last day of the workshop.  Over the last 3+ days we have been out to nine locations looking for sunrises, sunsets and filling in with locations where lighting was not as critical.  We also fit in a critique midway through the workshop and will end the workshop today with a final critique hopefully seeing improvement in all our work.

We started at 530 at Mono Lake.  There are so many places to set up and compose images that this location could keep us busy for several more days.  I varied my locations and elevations along the shore including more foreground in my images.

We finished early getting back for breakfast, and for those of us that are leaving today to check out of the hotel.  We got together to talk about the workshop and look at four images from each of the students.  Compositions are greatly improved so it looks like we are all taking this knowledge home.

Looking back on my experience I’d say I really enjoyed getting out with a group of like minded individuals and seeing how each of us sees the world a little bit different.  Not only did I learn to slow down, really look, then compose; the thought process of making great images.  I also improved the mechanics of making those images.  I felt fairly comfortable with my camera going into the class, but I feel even better afterward.  I never really concentrated on operating my camera in the dark.  When I was out there the first morning I started with my headlamp but quickly learned where the knobs and buttons were to make the changes I needed.  I learned how to use ‘Live view’ efficiently when including foreground.  I also learned that I made good choices when I first bought my camera and ancillary equipment.  The only thing I am still looking for is the ultimate camera bag.  It has to carry everything, not weigh anything, and not cost very much.  If any of you have such a bag let me know.

We all had a good time, we were serious about going out and finding that image that moved us, but we also stood back to visit, joke around and ask questions.
Jack’s workshop gave me the tools to be a better landscape photographer.  As I have said before I am slowing down and looking, thinking how to make each image a better image then creating that image.  It is going to be a never ending process but it will be fun working on it.

Thank you for your time in following my story.  I will be following up with my two plus day trip to Yosemite in my next couple of posts.

Thank you for stopping by,

Mark

1 comment:

  1. Mark, these pics are all breathtaking. You need more time for photography!

    ReplyDelete