Sunday, January 11, 2015

Yosemite National Park (part 1)

Tenaya Lake
I’m on my own now.  No instructor to answer my questions on lighting, composition, what lens to use and no one to set the schedule to be on the road by 0500!

When I registered for the photography workshop I didn’t consider going to Yosemite.  I didn’t realize how close it is to where the workshop is being held.  I have seen photos and while it looks impressive it was never high on my list of places to see.


After speaking with one of my coworkers, who goes there each year, I decided to research further.  Yosemite Valley is only about two hours from Mono Lake and Lee Vining taking the Tioga Pass road.  That’s two hours without stopping to make images every time there is a place to stop.  It took me over three hours to make the two hour trip.

I only made a few stops on my way to the Valley; Lembert Dome with a short walk along the Tuolomne River, Tenaya Lake and Olmsted Point.  This landscape is on a different scale than NM, it is larger with more details to enjoy.  I have never seen such large outcroppings of bare granite.

Tenaya Lake
When I got to Olmsted Point I knew I was getting close to the Valley.  I could see Half Dome, “It must be close” I told myself.  I drove for another hour before arriving at Yosemite Valley.

I have read several books on Yosemite Valley and studied Google earth to get the layout of the valley but it does not compare to seeing it in person.  I kept saying ‘WOW’ while I was making my way though the valley.  There is forest everywhere with meadows scattered here and there providing glimpses of the 3,000’ – 4,000’ high valley walls.  Visiting in October means smaller crowds; I can actually find parking places at each of my stops, but it also means little to no water flowing over the falls.  There was no water going over Yosemite Fall and very little over Bridalveil, Nevada or Vernal Falls.  The Merced River is very low; I think with a bit of boulder hopping one could get across the river without getting wet.  Even with the low water flow it is still worth the trip!

Half Dome from Olmsted Point
I’m staying at the Yosemite Falls Lodge in the center of Yosemite Valley.  I asked for an upper room, it was quite spacious with a wall separating the shower and bath room area from the main room.  There is a balcony looking out over my little part of the valley which I used several times.

After getting into the room I immediately loaded up my camera pack and scouted for prime photo locations.  I used my Garmin GPS receiver just to make sure I could find my way back.  It has been a long time since I have seen deer so close.  There were small groups lounging in the meadow as groups of people stopped for photo ops.  I even remembered to get out my IPhone to shoot some videos as other deer were dining on local flora.  (I still can’t get used to using my phone as a camera, especially when I am carrying a DSLR on my hip.)


Milky Way from Yosemite Valley
Later that evening I strolled to the meadow near the Swinging Bridge.  The skies in Albuquerque are not nearly dark enough to make any decent photos of the night sky, let alone the Milky Way.  I donned my headlamp and brought my Garmin again.  I don’t want to be wandering the Yosemite Valley this night searching for my room!  The moon doesn’t come up for several hours so the sky is dark enough to see the Milky Way.  As far as I could tell I was the only human out there that night, I’m not certain if there were any other creatures out there wondering what I was doing.  I didn't stay long; I want to get up early tomorrow morning to shoot sunrise in Yosemite Valley.





Thank you for stopping by,
Mark

1 comment: