Saturday, February 21, 2009

New projects

Well I’ve been busy starting my new projects. I know someone who may be lurking out there that will be happy to see me back on my teddy bears. I have four cut out and in the preliminary assembly stage. These guys and girls take me about 13 – 15 hours each. Each one is slightly different, you can see from my photo from Jan 23, 2009 post that they are all from the same family but each is slightly different.

On a bad note I found out that the woman that promoted the Albuquerque Teddy Bear show each May is giving up promoting entirely, this includes the one she did in Austin, TX. I still plan on doing the November Doll and Teddy Bear show but nothing is planned between now and then. With the economy as it is I may be better off to lay low for a while. I’m thinking of opening an Etsy shop. If any of you have any thing to say about that endeavor please let me know.

I have been working on head coverings for my sister, Pam. If they look good on her I hope she will show them off on this blog, no pressure Pam. :-)

I have also started working on the yard. Spring is not here yet officially, but the temperatures here in Albuquerque have been in the 50’s to near 60 and some of the plants and trees are starting to put on buds. After 20+ years of cutting grass I decided to go with a Xericscape which is gardening in ways to reduce or eliminate the need for suppelmental irrigation. Here you can see my front yard looked like before Xeriscaping.



Below you can see my front yard as it ended up last year the first month after taking out the lawn.



Since we live in a high-desert environment Xeriscape is the way to go. As of today we have only received a trace of precipitation since the start of the new year, with continued dry conditions forecast for the next week. My Xeriscape is different than most of the landscaping here in that I put in a small portion of very Xeric plants and a larger portion of low water plants. Most people like to do rocks, rocks and more rocks. I am a plant lover so the area includes 40+ plants and shrubs in the front yard. I hope to include photos of this year’s progress. Stay tuned.

Thank you for stopping by.
Mark

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard os xeriscape before, but I like the look. Why beat yourself up to keep grass living where it wasn't meant to grow. I love it that you have plants though. I love rocks. Love them. But I love plants. Living in Northern Indiana, we have lots of grass to mow. But as we get older, we are trying to go to a more natural native plant environment, except in the front yard, which is small. But landscaping is slowly pushing the grass to a minimum.

    Etsy is getting more attention all the time. There are several imitators, but not very inviting. I shop etsy all the time. But I have to tell you that your idea of detailing scarves for Pam is wonderful. I can't wait to see them. If you do go for etsy, include scarves. I bet there would be a great market in them.

    Love your blog. Post more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the person that invented lawns was related to the person that invented high heels for women. They look nice, don't really serve a purpose and are a pain to live with.

    I will follow up with more Xericscape posts. Here are a few sites that supply Xeric plants and information. It should give you an idea of what's out there.

    http://www.highcountrygardens.com/
    http://www.xeriscapenm.com/

    I believe that what we grow here can for the most part be grown in Indiana. We are a high desert; Albuquerque is over 5200' in elevation so we get hot dry summers and cold winters, below freezing during at night and generally above freezing during the day.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Mark is busy doing something artsy, at least!!! I did receive the 2 head coverings, which are fabulous, by the way, and once I get some ambition to look glorious, I will post the pics. I agree, Mark, if you do go with Etsy, the hats/scarves/coverings would be a great idea to sell too.

    ReplyDelete