Sunday, January 25, 2009

Needle felting update

This weekend I had the opportunity to shoot my latest creations, as promised in my earlier writing. It was nice and sunny, about 60 so I took advantage of the weather.

Here’s Theo, my second cat. Theo’s whiskers are actual horse hair. I found small packages of horse hair at
http://www.crazycrow.com/ they have all kinds of Native American stuff. Good for beaders!
My third cat is still a work in progress. I have included many photos during the construction of my third cat. I included small, 22 gauge, floral wire in each of the legs and tail allowing me to pose my cats. Please ignore the mess, this is my work area.

I want to warn you the next set of photos is not for the faint of heart! There are cat parts all over the place. :-)


Note: No animals were hurt in the filming of this blog!






It is not your imagination, he does not have eyes at this time.



I make the general parts out of white batting as this is much less expensive than making the entire part out of each color. To apply the color I take thin layers of wool and wrap it around the base part then needle it in place, I add additional layers to fill in the color as needed.

Thank you for stopping by.

Mark

2 comments:

  1. oh Mark! Theo is adorable! Glad you didn't harm any animals (especially cats :)) in the filming of this...
    I like seeing how he's being put together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome feline... just awesome!!!! I've also made some needle felted critters... in case you're interested, you can scroll these two posts to see a rabbit and a tiger mask. I also did a racoon, but don't think I posted it. Yours are more whimsical and have more personality!

    However, I never thought of using plain ol' batting for the core... or, even better, of putting an armature in it. Ha! You're a bright one... just like your sis.

    Robin A.

    ReplyDelete